Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Palak paneer/tofu

      Just this morning having heard 2 people mention this dish, I thought even if I am not able to upload the picture of this lovely dish, I need to put up this recipe on the blog.Hetal ,this is specially for you and I am so happy you are liking my recipes and enjoying them.
     There hardly anyone I know who does not love palak paneer.It is healthy, delicious and very nutritious.Its mum's favorite thing to make and kids too love it, but for different reasons.Mums for the greens and kids for paneer.I substitute it many times for tofu.The kids barely make out the difference.India does have lovely spinach leaves fresh out of the fields.Love the colour and the tender green ones.Here in Germany the spinach is much different, but if made well, the kids would just have it anyways.
     I would make it quick by even using the frozen spinach with cream.It cuts down my job to nearly few minutes in the kitchen.No cleaning boiling and crushing.But here I would give the recipe with both options.I love my palak paneer suited to my taste.I do not like my spinach pureed completely but like it a bit crushed roughly as it does away with that little bitterness spinach has.I just whisk it once with the handblender to get a rough texture.So here is my version.I would upload the picture shortly.
Ingredients
Paneer/tofu                               200gms
boiled spinach                          250gms
cream                                       25 ml
or frozen spinach with cream     250 gms
chopped onions                        1 no
chopped tomatoes                    3 nos
chopped garlic                          2 tbsp
chopped ginger                         1 tbsp
chopped green chillies               1/2 tsp
coriander powder                      1 tsp
chilli powder                              1tsp
haldi                                          1/2 tsp
salt to taste
cumin seeds                               1/2 tsp
hing                                            1/4 tsp
garam masala                              1/2 tsp
ghee                                            1 tbsp+1tsp
Lemon juice                                1 tsp

Method
Run the hand blender in the boiled spinach such that the spinach is just crushed.Heat 1 tbsp ghee, add hing and jeera.Let it splutter.Add chopped 1 tbsp garlic and chopped ginger.Saute well.Add chopped chopped onions and saute till they are slightly brown.Add finely chopped tomatoes and all the dry masalas and cook till ghee seems to separate.Chop the paneer/tofu into 1'' pieces.Add it to the cooking tomatoes.Pour in the spinach and cook.(If using frozen spinach with cream, defrost that and pour in now, do not add the cream in this case).Cook well.Add the cream and cook  for 10 mins.Pour in lime juice and mix well.
Heat 1 tsp ghee and add the other tbsp of garlic.Saute till golden brown add 1/4 tsp chilli powder and pour on top the curry.Serve hot with hot rotis or parathas.

No comments:

Post a Comment