Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Suji dhokla

My mum seems to cook like a magician. I  have the passion for cooking from her.As a kid of 6 , I saw her cooking with so much passion that I joined her and stood on a little stool by her and watched and helped her where I could. By age 10, I was making a full meal. 
Suji ke dhokle has been her left hand job. I think no one can make them like her. Today I share her recipe here. 
Ingredients
1.5 cups suji
2 tbsp besan ( optional)
1 cup sour curd
1 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp haldi
Pinch of hing
15 gms / 1 tbsp Baking powder 
Salt
For tempering
2 tbsp oil
Pinch of hing
1 tsp mustard seeds
Curry leaves
1 tsp sesame seeds
Few slit green chillies
Lime juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp sugar 
Method
Mix all the ingredients for dhokla exceot baking powder. Add enough water to make a thick batter.keep for 30 mins.
Now adjust the thickness of batter and add baking powder and mix well.
Grease a 24" round dhokla tray and keep to steam. Pour the batter and steam on high for about 15 mins.
Stick a knife to see if it comes clean.
Cool for about an hour.
Cut into small squares in the tray.
Heat oil in a pan, add hing, mustard and let them splatter.
Add curry leaves, sesame seeds and green chillies and let them give out aroma.
Pour half a cup of water in it and add heat through with sugar.
Add lime juice and pour over the dhoklas.
Keep for an hour, sprinkle chopped coriander and serve with chutney of your choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment