Thursday, May 5, 2011

Rhubarb chutney

My 1st encounter, if I may call it so, with rhubarb was many years ago when I came to Germany.A friend treated me to a rhubarb cake and I was not used to a cake that is sour.In India cakes are always sweet even if they added fruit, they added more sweet to counter the sourness.
   I saw the rhubarb sticks in the super market and thought I should try using it in my kitchen too.I made rhubarb with red beans and since it was my 1st time, I ended up adding too much and we had a hard time finishing it .For me a chutney would just be the way of adding it to my plate.I made this chutney with fresh mint and boy,was it great!It tasted really good and we had it with crackers and now eat it with rotis too.It tastes like mango chutney,though I must add I found its raw smell too overpowering for me.Try and see.
Ingredients
Rhubarb sticks cleaned and chopped             250 gms
Chopped garlic                                              5 cloves
chopped big red jalapeño                               1 no(adds a lovely color)
Fresh mint                                                      1 fist full
dry red chilli                                                   1 no
mustard seeds                                                1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds                                                  1/2 tsp
Oil                                                                 1 tbsp
Tumeric powder                                            1/2 tsp
chilli powder                                                  1/2 tsp
coriander powder                                          1/2 tsp
sugar                                                             1/4 cup( as required to taste)
Hing                                                              1/5 tsp
pickled green peppercorns                             1 tsp
salt to taste  
Method
Heat oil in a pan, add hing and red chilli.Put in the mustard and cumin seeds and let them splutter.
Drop in the garlic and let it cook till golden.
Put in the rhubarb and red jalapeño peppers and mix well.
Sprinkle all the dry spice powders and salt.Add about 1/4 cup water and pressure cook or cover to cook till soft and mashy.
Now add the sugar,peppercorns and mint leaves and cook to evaporate water till it is thick consistency.Add more/less suagr according to taste.Mix with back of the spoon to integrate all the things well.
Serve with crackers ,as a dip or with Indian food. 

No comments:

Post a Comment