Monday, September 9, 2024

Shalgam Palak Bharta





Turnips are flavourful vegetable and I love the variety it brings to the table. I use them even raw to make a pickle besides the typical Punjabi pickle. Dipped in vinegar they taste well with a good hearty dal. Today I wanted to try make something new. I am trying to add more spinach and felt they would come together well. Almost like the way spinach does with radish. So tonight's dinner was about this trial. It was successful and I am glad I tried to do something new. The other one I make is sweeter and great with hot parathas.  Have you ever tasted this delicious vegetable?

Ingredients
1 cup chopped turnip
2 cups chopped spinach
2 pods chopped garlic
1 dry chilli
pinch of hing
1 tbsp mustard oil
1 tsp panchforan (mix of methi, jeera, saunf, mustard, kalonji, whole dhaniya)
1 small tomato chopped
1 chopped green chilli
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp garam masala
1 tsp dhaniya powder
salt
1 tbsp lemon juice

Method
1. Heat oil, add hing, red chilli and paanchforan. let them color and crackle.
2. Add garlic and green chilli, saute until golden. Add the turnip and saute well.
3. Put in the tomato and saute.
4. add all the spices and let them leave their aroma.
5. Put in the spinach and again saute well.
6. Put about 1 tbsp water and pressure cook for about 10 minutes. I used the Instant pot.
7. Crush the vegetables well with the masher.
8. Add the lemon juice. With spinach it brings the best of it out.
9. Serve with hot rice or parathas off the skillet!





No comments:

Post a Comment