Sunday, October 6, 2024

Chettinad Masala powder

     


My favorite thing to do is to try out different ingredients, play around with them and still get authentic tastes which makes meals interesting! What else is life all about! We like things spicy and one needs to keep working on making life spicy no matter what. In Jakarta with so much rice available, I started to make a lot of dosas and then moved to making Aapams. My family was hooked. I made the Chettinad masala aloo with them and the taste was something else! I have been wanting to write the recipe down but somehow life happened and I kind of didn't get the time to post recipes. I still like the old fashioned way of putting down my recipes. Helps me stay calm instead off being stressed with huge pressure of editing. People are doing great and I admire them for the energy it requires.

Ingredients

 3-4 Red chillies with stalks

1 tbsp Peppercorns 

3 star anise

1 tsp cumin

Curry leaves a handful

2 tbsp Fennel/saunf 

2 tbsp poppy seeds/ khus khus

1/4th cup coconut grated ( I used dessicated)

2-3 cloves

1 small stick cinnamon

A few pieces of black stone flower (optional)

Method

1. Roast all the spices on medium flame until brown.  Take care not to over roast.

2. Let the coconut be brown and aromatic. The masala starts to leave oil.

3. Cool and grind to a nice rough powder.

4. Store in a cool place. Add to vegetables of your choice. I make potatoes or mixed vegetables. They taste amazing with rice, dosas, appams and even hot parathas.


No comments:

Post a Comment